Bumpers of Arkansas / THU 9-3-15 / Title villain for Star Trek film / Lt commander of 60s tv / Sicilian's millions / America's only bachelor president
Thursday, September 3, 2015
Constructor: Merl Reagle (1950-2015)
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: "The Gods Must be Crazy" — a puzzle from the 1999 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?) American Crossword Puzzle Tournament where ordinary words are imagined as Greek gods through the magic of REPRONUNCIATION (39A: Key to understanding the theme of this puzzle)
- MANACLES (14A: Greek god of bondage?)
- ERUDITE (15A: Greek goddess of learning?)
- TELEPHONE (16A: Greek goddess of communication?)
- GAMETES (27A: Greek god of fertility?)
- ENVELOPE (31A: Greek goddess of messages?) (hardest laugh—my wife's name is "Penelope")
- ANTIBIAS (48A: Greek god of equal opportunity?)
- AMPERES (53A: Greek god of electricity?)
- FOLLICLES (64A: Greek god of healthy hair?)
- SPAREUS (67A: Greek god of mercy?)
- LIMEADES(69A: Greek god of tangy drinks?)
truTV is an American cable and satellite television channel that is owned by the Turner Broadcasting System division of Time Warner. // The network was originally founded as Court TV, a network that focused on crime-themed programs, such as documentary series, legal dramas, and coverage of prominent criminal cases. With its 2008 re-launch as TruTV, the network revamped its lineup with a focus on reality shows and "caught on camera" programs, which the network marketed as "actuality" television. In October 2014, the TruTV's lineup was re-oriented with a focus on comedy-based reality programs. As of February 2015, approximately 89.7 million American households (77% of households with television) receive truTV. (wikipedia)
I've written about Merl. I've done interviews about Merl. I've said all I can say at this point. I'm just going to let this puzzle sit here and speak for itself.
On second thought, just a few things.
1. This puzzle is 16 years old
2. This puzzle has enough theme answers to field a football team
3. I legitimately laughed, over and over
See you tomorrow.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]